Tips for Choosing the right school for your child
Every parent dreams of providing the best education to their kids. No matter what sacrifice they have to make. Primary education is definitely very important for a child’s future. There are so many schools now a days that it very complex and confusing situation for parents. It is really tough for them to choose the right school.
At Makoons, India’s leading Play School Franchise we understand that your child’ future is utmost important.Here we share few tips which will help parents in taking the right decision.
- Distance of School from home
This is one of the most important point that parents need to consider while selecting the best school for their child. Do not select school that is far off from your home just because your neighbor’s child is also studying there. Travel time from home to school is important. If the school is too far from home your child will not get much time for himself. Children need spare time so that they can play and have fun. Too much distance and travel time will not allow your kid this freedom which is very much important for kids besides studies. In fact this is equally important. So keep in mind not to put your child in a school which is too far just for the sake of reputation.
- School Fees
School Fees is another very important aspect that one needs to keep in mind while selecting a school for children. Do not judge a school to be good if its fees is on higher side. In fact many schools provide quality education at a much lesser fees and their standard of education can be much better than the one with higher fees charges. Always chose a school which is affordable and has good education standard compared to the one with fancy facilities and exorbitant fees.
Although education comes at top when choosing the right school for your child. It is very important that the school has adequate amenities and facilities. Without good facilities things will become hard for your child. Check the school for proper cleanliness, clean toilets, filtered and best drinking water, good play ground and other important amenities.
- Standard of education
Standard of education is another most important factor when choosing the right school for your child. It is imperative that the school where you admit your child has a high emphasis on quality of education. A school is known primarily for its education. A school that follows high standards of education with reasonable fee is probably the best one for your child’s future.
- Trained and Qualified Staff
Teachers and school staff play a very important role in the development of your child. Choose a school with qualified teachers and well trained staff. After parents, teachers have the most important role in shaping a child’s future. With the right guidance of good teachers a child’s future is in the right path.
- Extra Curricular Activities
“All study and no play made Jack a dull boy” is an old proverb but something every parent should ponder. Do not make your child merely a bookworm. A child needs to participate in sports, music, dance and other fun and challenging extra curricular activities for proper development. Chose a school that has an active sports culture with equal importance for music, dance and other art forms. Children are blessed with different talents and need a proper platform where they can enhance and showcase their talents. A school which has facilities for such extra curricular activities is the best choice for your child.
How to take of toddler’s teeth?
Toddlers have delicate teeth and at their age the teeth have just started coming. Many a times parents want to know how to take care of their kids dental health. Here are few tips that can helpful.
- It is important to get your kid to take the brush and do some brushing. Allow them to put the brush in the mouth and play with it. Till the age your toddler is one year old, toothpaste is not required and merely brushing would do. Start applying a very small quantity of toothpaste once kid is above one year of age and let him enjoy the sweet refreshing flavor of paste.
- Give some choice to your kid. Let them choose the color of brush. There are some very attractive toothbrushes available in the market which are made for kids specifically. Buy them one of these. Even toothpastes come in attractive packing and flavors which are meant for kids only.
- Make your toddler brush teeth twice a day. Start this habit early as it is one of the most important dental routine. Make sure to brush the teeth at night before sleep. Bacteria and germs stick to teeth so it important to brush and remove the harmful bacteria with proper brushing before sleep.
- Use dental floss sticks daily to remove any food particle stuck between teeth. Be very gentle and do this carefully as kids are sensitive and tender.
- Avoid sugary food, sweets and toffees. One or two is fine but do not make your toddler become habitual to sweets and candies as this is most harmful for teeth.
Few tips to make your child sleep better
Sleep is very important for all of us and young kids need good sleep in plenty. Many a times it becomes difficult for kids to have a sound sleep. Lack of sleep can disturb the child and he might feel irritated because of this. Proper sleep is very important for the proper development and growth of child. Sleep helps to heal and recharge the body for the next day. Here are few tips to make your child get a good sound sleep
- Make a habit of getting your child to sleep at a fixed time every day. Make sure that your child goes to sleep early and gets plenty of sleep time, at least 11-12 hours of sleep is recommended for young toddlers.
2. Make your child wear comfortable clothing before going to sleep. In summers chose light and lose clothes . In winters clothes should be warm and comfortable.
3. You should refrain your toddler from watching TV and playing on mobile or tablets two hours before to going for sleep. When kids are engaged in some activity before sleep their mind is still in active state. Our body releases hormone called melatonin which is responsible for maintaining the internal clock of our body. This internal clock tells us when to eat, when to go to sleep and other activities which we do on routine automatically. It is important to calm down the brain before sleep so that this hormone is in check and work properly.
4.Before going to sleep it is important that you create an environment which is conducive to sleep. Turn off the lights, switch off the TV and put that tablet and mobile away at least one hour before making your toddler ready for sleep. Read them a story or sing them a lullaby two before going to bed.
5.Do not give liquids to your kid at least one hour before going to bed, this will prevent him from going for urine or potty which will obviously disturb the sleep.
6.If your child gets up during the sleep may be he is thinking about some thing that disturbed his sleep. Just pat him at the back and put him back to sleep.
How to stop your toddler from hitting?
Hitting is an age typical behavior in toddlers. Definitely it is not a good habit. At this tender age toddlers are going through development phases. Whenever your kid is trying to learn some new skill like talking or walking or anything which can be considered an important milestone his behavior changes and can become more easily irritable, aggressive or they may start crying more often. This is a normal development stage for toddlers as they are trying to cope up with the pressure which is a bit unknown to them. At this stage a child’s brain is not that developed and they do not have the necessary skills to deal with such situations. So it is quite normal behavior coming from a toddler.
Normally such things happen with adults too when we are going through some stressful phase we tend to become more irritated. But as adults we have the maturity to handle such situations and mold ourselves accordingly, but in case of these little kids such emotions are very new to them and they don’t know how to properly deal with it. At Makoons India’s leading Pre School Franchise we are always trying to throw light on issues pertaining to toddlers and parenting so that parents can understand their little ones better.
Here are few tips for handling such volatile behavior from toddlers.
- Remember in order to be able to help others we need to take care of ourselves first. You won’t be of much help to others if you are yourself in trouble or not in a good frame of mind.In case of toddler showing aggressive behavior it is important that you are in full control of yourself first and keep your cool. Take some deep breaths and tackle the situation with calm mind. Avoid shouting and scolding the young kid because if you do so you are making the situation worse and adding to the chaos. Taking control of yourself is the first step towards controlling your toddler.
- When your toddler is hitting someone or hitting you it is best to tell them to stop doing it immediately and move him to another place. It is not the time to argue with him or explain him the right values and manners as he is not going to understand your logic. Best way is to tell him that are not going to let him hit you or hit anybody else. Be firm and straight forward.
- When handling an aggressive child present a calm face, body language and talk in gentle tone with your child.
- Connect with the child and try to understand the reason behind his impulsive hitting. He may be doing it get something, may be he is asking for attention because you are busy handling his other sibling or their could be any other reason. Tell him if he wants something then first he has to do what you think is right and slowly the child will calm down. Talk to your toddler and make him comfortable. Track your child’s behavior daily and try to figure out the reason for such behavior.
- Observe the company of your child. Often kids pick up such such habits from other aggressive peers. If your child shows tendency of aggressive behavior change his company.
- If your child is hitting someone else show more sympathy towards the other person and ask your child to show love and care to the concerned person.
- Always try to maintain a good healthy atmosphere in house. If you are fighting too much with your partner this could create a bad environment for kid and he might become more susceptible to such behavior.
Temper tantrums in toddlers and how to keep it under check
Temper tantrums are very common in kids aged 1-4. More than half of kids let their frustration out by throwing tantrums. Parents of toddlers often complain about their kid being too fussy and throwing tantrums all the time. Kids have many reasons for showing such behavior. Sometimes they might do it to get a new toy or candy. They might do it just to get your attention. Tantrum is also a sign that your kid is trying to ask for something but due to his inability to explain straightway throws a tantrum.
At Makoons, India’s leading Play School Franchise we understand the psychology of toddlers and pre schoolers very well. We encourage you to keep on reading this article. Here we discuss few strategies that will help you take control of your kid more effectively and control their mood swings and tantrums.
- Make your child feel comfortable
Most often young toddlers throw tantrums as they might be feeling uncomfortable. It is suggested that you give your kids proper sleep so that they don’t feel lethargic and irritated throughout the day. Another most important thing is to give them proper food with nutrition so that they are physically charged for the day. When going out to a nearby market carry a small toy so that the child is busy, this also prevents your kid from demanding a new toy while you are out for shopping.
- Let your kid choose
Having a choice is natural human urge. When you give your kid a choice he feels a lot better and will be more interested in doing something which he generally avoids. Start with little things that would make them feel that they are in control. For example you can give your kid a choice of finishing the milk first or eating his breakfast. Or offering him a choice between going for bath or eating some delicious snack first. Try this tip and you will become a lot better in understanding these toddlers. This is also a great way to make them do something they are reluctant to do usually.
- Find out what’s really bothering your kid
Kids under the age of two and half years have a vocabulary of around fifty words only. It is not easy for them to express their feelings with such a short vocabulary so they get frustrated and start acting strangely or throw tantrums. It is best to train your kid to understand some sign language for common problem like feeling hungry, sleep or the urge to relieve himself. This way you will be able to judge their problem much better and kids will throw less tantrums.
- Distract the attention
Often we get the signs of tantrums coming from kids in advance. The best way to deal with this is to distract their attention and divert it to something else. Once you have judged that a tantrum is on its way immediately change the topic, start smiling or play some game with your kid. You can even encourage them to watch favorite cartoon together. This distraction will divert the attention of kid and most probably he will forget to throw tantrum.
- Be a patient listener and good teacher
Let your kid know that you are there by his side. Sometimes that’s all your kid wants. Try to give a patient ear to what you kid is trying to express. Do not lose your cool if your child is whining. Teach good habits and let him know that he won’t be scolded if he make mistake when trying to learn new things. Give him the confidence that you are there for him and support him unconditionally.
- Use positive words
Be polite when handing these young toddlers as they will always make silly mistakes, this is all part of growing up and we all have been through this phase. Remember how patient your own parents were when you were in this stage. Do not scold them tool much or use bad words. Kids can pick up such things from parents very quickly. If you know your kid is throwing tantrum just leave him alone for some time and tantrum could be gone.
- Keep a straight face
If you notice your toddler throwing tantrum just show a straight face and let him know that you are not interested. Often parents give in to such tantrums and unknowingly encourage more of such behavior in kids. Once a kid understands that throwing tantrum is the best way to get something done it can become a bad habit in later years and the kid may grow up being more stubborn and moody. Next time you face such situation where you find your kid throwing a tantrum, just ignore or keep a straight face. Let them know this is not the way to get anything he or she wants.
- Compliment and reward
Whenever your child does something good like finishing his breakfast or helping you in some house chores do not forget to compliment and encourage him. With positive words and some encouragement your kid will automatically show better behavior and refrain from tantrums. Reward your child with an ice cream or let him watch his favorite cartoon.
Some Useful Advice for Parents of Toddlers
Advice for Parents who say that their kid is hyper
Many a times parents complain that their child is very hyper but actually most of the times this is not the case. As parents you need to understand that these kids are not hyper and what you assume as hyper is actually a divine blessing for these kids. It is very normal for today’s kids to show such behavior. In fact this is a form of energy which is actually required by these kids to survive in the world that they are going to face tomorrow. These children are the future and in coming times these young kids will have to face different challenges and more competition which will require them to be more energetic and competitive. Until and unless they go through this phase they will not be ready to face tomorrow.
So become calm and relaxed and don’t worry if you consider your child to be hyper. In fact if your child shows less energy and activity it is a problem. Also we need to understand that at this age these young kids are hustling and bustling with energy and in comparison to them your energy and activity level is not that high. What we consider hyper is normal for kids of such age. These young children are the future doctors, lawyers, sportsmen, artists, musicians and entrepreneurs. They are going to face all together different challenges and situations to what we are facing today. Consider this hyper energy as the divine energy blessed upon these children to face the future.
Change the lifestyle of kids
Instead of encouraging your child to spend time with TV, mobile and video games spend quality time with kids and take them to places like zoo, amusement park . Instead of going to places like shopping mall take your child to a good park to spend time with nature. Let them feel the natural surroundings. Allow them to touch plants, grass and flowers. Going to a water park is also a very good idea during the summers. Encourage kids to play with sibling or kids of similar age so that they become more social and do not just keep to themselves . You can also adopt a pet like dog, cat or some bird. This makes them responsible and caring.
Food and Diet
Avoid fried and spicy food like burger, pizza, french fries. Instead give them natural fruits and vegetables to eat.
Fruits are available in large variety and your kid will relish the taste of different fruits. Fruits and vegetables contain essential vitamins an mineral required for proper growth and development of children
These foods are alkaline and reduces overall acidity in body, so promote healthy natural food.
Healthy Eating Tips for Toddlers
Giving the right food to your toddler is very important as in these growing years they need ample nutrition for their active lifestyle. Here are some tips to give healthy food to your toddler.
- Toddlers are choosy customers so it is important to give them variety in food. Give them something new and interesting to eat every day if possible. If your kid likes fruits give them different fruits at regular intervals.
- These little kids are always hustling and bustling with energy so it is important that you give your toddler something to eat every few hours so that they are energized through out the day.
- Try to give them milk, fruits, soyabean, paneer and other food items rich in proteins and vitamins which are very much essential for the proper development of your child.
- Many a times kids do not like the taste of milk. You can give them milk in the form of mango shake, strawberry shake or banana shakes. These shakes are healthy and delicious too and definitely your child is going to like either of these.
- Health drinks like Bournvita and Horlicks are also very good for your child’s proper growth. These health drinks have the necessary proteins, minerals and vitamins which are required to keep your healthy and active. It is recommended to give these health drinks on daily basis for proper growth of the child.
- Try the interesting fruit chaat by combining several fruit pieces together in plate. Add a dash of lemon and salt. Fruit chaat is full of nutrition and has delicious taste.
- Always keep some biscuits in your home. Kids love biscuits and they are source of instant energy.
- Avoid sweets and candies as these can lead to teeth and gum problems in kids.
How to make toddlers start eating on their own?
Instilling right food habits in young kids specifically toddlers is a tough task for some parents. These little kids are choosy with food and often develop wrong food habits due to lack of discipline and carelessness on part of parents. Many a times these young kids get used to being fed food but their moms and they refuse to eat food on their own. This becomes a trouble for mothers as they have to concentrate on other activities also. A kid should start eating on his own by the time he starts going to pre school.
At Makoons, India’s leading Play School Franchise we understand toddlers better.Here we share some tips which can be helpful in making kids start eating on their own.
- As soon as your kid becomes one year old start giving him something to eat every now and then. It is important for young kids to eat at regular intervals as they require more energy. You may give them fruits like banana, apple, orange or bread jam, biscuit etc. By following this tip your kid will start eating on his own.
- Don’t worry too much if initially your child starts playing or messing around with food. This is a common child behavior and will subside with time.
- Allow your kid to eat with you too. Give them small bites and tell them to eat just like you are eating. Kids learn very fast when by observing others.
- Now a days cartoons have become an integral part of every kid’s life. Use cartoon printed utensils for kids. Serve your kid food, water or milk in such utensils and he will not refuse to eat.
- If your young one has siblings try to make them eat at least one meal together. When your child eats food with siblings he learns to eat on his own.
How to stop the the habit of sucking of thumb in young children?
Young children are prone to picking up the wrong habits. Sucking of thumb is one such habit that many toddlers pick up on their own. Generally sucking of thumb is not much to be worried about. But if this habit is not discouraged than it can continue for a very long time and the child might continue sucking thumb even if he continues to grow older. This habit is quite unhygienic as the kid takes in bacteria and germs that can cause disease. Normally children shed this habit as they grow older but many a times it becomes permanent problem. We are going to share some useful tips that can be implemented to curb the habit sucking thumb among young children.
- Whenever you find your kid sucking thumb engage them in activities that involve the use of both hands. For example: You can ask them to play with a soft toy. You can also encourage them to play with building blocks as this involves usage of both hands. Make your child hold their favorite book and ask them to read. Make them play with an inflated ball. Such activities can definitely help your child forget about sucking thumb.
- In order to curb the habit you may also tie a band aid or socks to his thumb. You may tie a simple cloth band to the thumb.
- Try to reduce the the time for thumb sucking. Explain them that this habit is not good for their health.
- You many also apply lemon juice to child’s thumb. Lemon juice is sour in taste and kids do not like its sourness. You may apply other edible things which your child does not likes.
- You may use a thumb guard which is a small device that has to be worn on thumb. Do not force the child to wear this for too long and too often.
- Ones the child has stopped sucking thumb it is suggested to keep a watch on this habit for minimum three to six months as this habit can often come back in toddlers.
- Understand that small children take time to kick such habits, so be patient and don’t get annoyed with the process.
- This is a habit that toddlers and young babies pick up to soothe themselves when they are feeling hungry or simply just to go to sleep. So do not worry too much about it.
At Makoons is India’s leading pre school franchise we understand that these young toddlers go through a huge transition during their formative years. Our aim is to make parents understand their young ones better with our informative posts. If you any queries related to pre school education please feel free to contact us.
A small story that can help you in handling kids more efficiently
Often mothers complain about their young ones being very naughty. No matter how hard they try to tame them kids will always find ways to irritate their parents specially mothers as they are the ones who the kids spends most time with.
At Makoons is India’s best play school franchise we are constantly sharing interesting articles and tips that are meant to help parents raise well behaved toddlers.
Here is a small story that can help you in upbringing your little one and tackle their day today tantrums with ease.
Once a mother who was very much upset due to her child’s growing tantrums and naughtiness went to a saint. She told him how her little one is becoming too naughty and going out of her control. This often made her lose her cool and getting angry on the kid. She wanted a solution to control her kid no matter what. She said she had tried all tactics but failed to tame her naughty kid. The saint asked her that if she wants a solution to this problem then she had to go through a arduous and risky task.
The woman was willing to try anything to find the solution. The saint asked her to go to the nearby hill and get three moustache hair of the lion sitting hill top. The hill was very steep so she need to be careful as a mistake in climbing the hill could cost her life. The woman took the challenge and with great difficulty and determination she was able to climb the hill and reach the hill top. Now the work was half done she still has to pluck three hairs from the lion’s moustache. The woman located the lion who was perched at the hill top and got utterly terrified of the lion. The lion’s roar made her even more fearful. But she was determined to complete the risky task.
Initially the lion would making roaring noises and thought that the woman has come there to harm him. But gradually after spending few days the woman started to win lion’s confidence . She would clean up his sitting area , pat him gently and with her friendly gestures she was able to win lion’s trust. In few days the lion and the woman became quite friendly and the lion would allow her to come close to him.
After few days suddenly woman got the opportunity she had been waiting for. The Lion was sleeping, the woman got close to him and quickly plucked out three moustache hairs of Lion. She ran as fast as she could without even looking back as she knew that the lion won’t spare her if she stops for a moment. With great difficulty she climbed down the hill and reached her village. She immediately went to the saint and gave her the three hairs of Lion.
She asked the saint with curiosity and impatience to give her the solution to handle her naughty kid. The saint smiled and told her that the solution is not with him. The woman got furious as she had taken such a big risk of her life to find the solution to her problem.
The saint calmed her down and explained to her that she has completed such a risky task of climbing the steep hill and even much riskier task of going close to the ferocious lion and plucking out his hairs confidently but she is unable to handle her kid who is innocent and tender. He made her understand that she used all her skills and intelligence to climb the hill and win the confidence of most dangerous animal but she is finding it difficult to control a small child who is harmless and loving. He told her that she just needs to handle the child with more love and care and it is many times easier than the task that she had completed.
The woman immediately understood that she needs to be more compassionate and caring towards her child. She could easily control him with love and some good parenting skills.
She thanked saint for the life changing advice and guidance.
This story is a big lesson for the mothers who think that keeping their young one well behaved is a very tough task. Woman are multi taskers . They play many roles simultaneously. A woman is a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter in-law and working professional at the same time. They can easily handle so many tasks but often a child’s minor tantrums makes them lose their cool and they get irritated. This story is a small reminder for every mother to be polite, kind and compassionate towards their growing kid and handle them with some good parenting skill and compassion.
Follow this simple lesson and you will realize that you just need a change in attitude and some more patience and love to handle your kids properly.
Is your toddler unable to speak?
Kids are certainly god’s most wonderful creations. They bring us so much joy and happiness. When a kid starts growing we admire that cute behavior. We all love to see them laughing, playing and enjoying. We love their cute way of talking and love to hear it again and again. Speech is the only medium by which a child can express his his thoughts, feelings and emotions. But many a times kids are not able to pick up language skills despite being completely all right in all other aspects. A child could be active but still he may find it tough to speak. This is very normal among young toddlers and parents need not worry too much. By following some simple steps you can get your kid to start talking.
- Devote time with your child so that they can learn to speak. It is important that you spend time with your children and encourage them to talk. Children learn by observing others and being parent you are the first person a kid interacts with. Be patient when teaching your child to speak. Make them follow your lip movement. Pronounce the alphabets and simple words along with them. Let them learn at their own pace and don’t hurry to see results.
- Encourage your child to interact with other children of his age. The more they interact with each other faster they learn. This is probably the fastest way by which children can learn to speak. Allow them to make friends with other kids in your area or locality. Kids love each others company and learn a lot from each other in no time. If your child has a sibling that’s and added advantage.
- Get your kid enrolled in a nearby play school or creche where he can spend a few hours away form the home with other children. If your child is around 1.5 years old it is the best time to send him to a play school. Pre schools or Play Schools are specially formulated for toddlers to start learning faster. A child learns to speak, read and write many times faster when they attend play school. Besides learning to speak and write there overall development is also benefited. Makoons is leading Play School Franchise that can guide you better in choosing the play school and contribute towards the overall development of your child.
- Let your child watch TV cartoons and learn from them. Now a days there are number of cartoon channels for kids. Let them sit and enjoy with these virtual friends. Kids learn a lot by watching TV. If you loved some cartoon in your time search and find it on youtube. You can interact with your child while watching these cartoons together. Tell them the name of the characters in the cartoon, their unique characteristics. Even enacting the funny way a cartoon talks will make your child enjoy and learn to speak fast.
- Take your child for outing. Kids love to go for outing. They enjoy going to market when you buy them stuff. You can also take your child to nearby garden and let them loose. Make him interact with other children in the park. Kids learn fast when they are in happy mood and going for an outing makes them happy.
- If you can purchase toys which can do a bit of talking, kids will surely love them and pick up the words easily. There are many such toys available in the market. You can also purchase an interactive game from toy shop that can make him learn things with fun.
- You can download learning games or apps on your mobile that aid in speaking.
- Music is one of the best way to make children speak. Music makes learning very easy. When your child listens to new words in songs and poems they are not under pressure to learn. They rather enjoy the music and song. This makes them learn new words and speak easily.
Check our daily wall for more valuable information about toddlers.
These are some of the tips that can help your child to start speaking. But if you think that your child is not learning to speak according to age consult a child a doctor or child psychologist.